Edulix eNewsletter - December 2001
Welcome to the premiere site for international students - Edulix provides a unique Internet portal for international students like you with services that walk you through the university selection process. Edulix not only helps you interact and form community with other international students all over the world through message boards in different categories but also provides opportunity for the universities and the faculty to post their opportunities of research and financial assistance.
Edulix wants to form a long-term relationship with its community members starting from the university selection process, to application, admission, matriculation, graduation and job-search.
Happy Holidays to all our members. Edulix Panel wishes peace and safety for its members around the world.
In this Issue:
- The latest word on Student Visa Program in the US
- Edulix Members Success Stories
- Bikila launches his Engineering and CS "safe-Bet" list and Top 25 Canadian Programs List
- Financial Aid Opportunities Spotted
- Edulix and USIU Partnership
- Venkatesh Babu of Boss Solutions comments on the current job market
- Research and Financial Opportunity Postings by Faculty and Universities
- UCSD to launch MBA Program
1. The latest word on Student Visa Program in the US
The US Congress is working on a new bill it has called "Visa Entry Reform Act". The bill sponsored by Senator Dianne Feinstein of California and Senator Kyl Bill calls for:
- Tougher scrutiny of visa application and documents.
- Ban on visa from countries the US considers support terrorism.
- Require schools to notify immigration authorities when a visa student fails to show up at the school.
- Smart visa cards that carry personal information of visa students such as finger prints, tracking of travels in and out of the US.
The prior but now abandoned plan by Senator Feinstein had called for a 6 month moratorium on students visas. A more lenient bill was proposed by Senator Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts.
In the academic year 2000-2001, almost 500,000 visa students had come to study in the US with almost 50% originating from China and India. Only 7% of the visa students are from the Middle East.
Visa students spend almost $12 Billion every year making student visa programs as America's 5th largest service export.
2. Edulix Members Success Stories
Some of Edulix members have already made it to the US! Congratulations for the great new beginning! Their first semester is almost over. Stay tuned with Edulix to share their stories, to find out how life has been so far in graduate school and most importantly, receive their insight into successful steps toward making it for yourself as well. We are starting with Kadam who is from India and now in the US to pursue a graduate degree in Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago. See on a weekly basis what Kadam tells about how life has been so far in the US and provides tips on application process and what to do and what not to do.
EXPERIENCES and SUGGESTIONS on APPLICATION PROCESS
by Kadam Chudgar
(2001) Graduate student
3. Bikila launches his Engineering and CS "safe-Bet" list and Top 25 Canadian Programs List
Edulix Expert Panel member Bikila has been busy building his list of schools where Edulix members would stand greater chance of admission. This frequently asked about, highly sought after list is compromised of institutions that have big international student body, historically well-funded and have not-out-of-this-world admission criteria.
Engineering and CS "safe-Bet" list and Top 25 Canadian Programs List
4. Financial Aid Opportunities Spotted
5. Edulix and USIU Partnership
Edulix and United States International University, San Diego continue to have a partnership to provide scholarship for Edulix members who apply and receive admission for select programs in this institution.
Visit June 2000 eNewsletter for more info.
6. Venkatesh Babu of Boss Solutions comments on the current job market
Visit Venkatesh Babu of Boss Solutions comments on the current job market. Diminishing demands or passing phase? for full story.
7. Research and Financial Opportunity Postings by Faculty and Universities
University officers and faculty members can enter information about their research, scholarship and assistantship opportunities that will be added to the Edulix Database. Once we have the complete information, we will add it to the database promptly and make it available to the Edulix community.
Visit Faculty Page for details.
8. UCSD to launch MBA Program
University of California, San Diego has just announced an upcoming graduate business school that is going to rival some of the top MBA programs in the United States.
Visit UCSD to launch MBA Program for details.
The Edulix Management Team