Edulix
need help - MS in UK - Printable Version

+- Edulix (http://www.edulix.com/forum)
+-- Forum: II. Profile Evaluation Phase (/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Forum: U.K., Europe , Asia & Australia Admissions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: need help - MS in UK (/showthread.php?tid=56611)

Pages: 1 2

need help - MS in UK - prongs - 07-04-2008 08:25 AM

Hello everyone,

Am new to this forums and i havent yet gone thru the previous threads. I just finished my BTech from JNTU and got a TOEFL score of 111. Am thinnking abt doing MS in UK. But i have no idea how to go abt. Can any1 suggest me how and whr i need to start, plz.
I dont hav any idea abt any univ's over thr. i wud like to know wht r the eligibilty criteria required to apply and wht r chances for any funding. How much does it cost overall ? Do i need to pay the entire amt from my pocket or can i get some job using which i can pay the fee ? i wud like to apply for spring; so upto when can i apply ?

All these questions might have been answered previously in some or the othr thread. But kindly answer me. I need help.

RE: need help - MS in UK - shilpa21 - 07-04-2008 08:18 PM

if u are mumbai resident the if u want u can attend seminar of british council nariman point,
i had done the same, following is the overview
you can log on to
http://www.defs.gov.uk/recognisedukdegrees (recognised universities)
http://www.educationuk-in.org (list of universities)
The postgraduate course offered by the UK university is M.Sc ONE YEAR FULL TIME but wether this degree is equivalent to MS inUSA , i don't know, the lady who conducted the seminar told me to check with the prequistes of the universities.
IF U COULD GET ANY INFORMATION ABOUT IT PLEASE SHARE ON THE POST.
The most important points
University has to be internationaly recognised
public funded only.
Most university ask for 2-3 years work exp, first calss in undergraduate
check for the international student ratio (MUST)
IELTS score is to submitted if ask by the university
Apply one academic year in advance if trying for scholarship.
Ranking visit www. hero.ac.uk/rae
Reagrding the job prospects, there is no clear information UK universities allows the students to stay and work for about one year after studies
there are also other website given to us , apart from above mention, which u will get it in seminar.

u are trying for which course.i am from BE chemical and if u have any idea regarding the post graduate course in chemical and job prospects please revert back.

RE: need help - MS in UK - prongs - 07-05-2008 12:30 AM

hello shilpa.. am from hyderabad and i finished my BTech Computers. Am sry but i do not know anything abt UK education. i just heard ht its good and thought it might be a prospective career.. so am finding out details. i wud be grtful if u can share any info u have....

and thnx for the links...

RE: need help - MS in UK - Gaurav_Kaul - 07-05-2008 04:02 AM

Just wanted to add to this...now a new scheme called IGS has been launched by UK govt. They have infact completely revamped there visa and immigration system. Now all the international students, who successfully complete their education from a recognized UK university, are eligible to work in UK for a period of 2 years. The company which wishes to hire them need not go through the trouble of organzing a work visa for them. But having said that, some companies do specifcally look for guys who are british and indians. Accenture is a case in point. But having said that the %age of such companies is very less...
I am working in UK at the moment for an onsite assignment and one thing I can tell you is that job market here is very tough due to the ongoing recession...Also, UK and London esp is a very expensive place to live and work. Eg. coming out of college at most you can expect is 40000 pounds, out of which you will get only 2500 in hand per month...assuming you take a student loan (which in all probabilities, you will) you will get approx 2000 quid...I am at present earning 2200 gbp in hand, so I am not sure what value add I will get...Also, the amount of 40000 gbp I assumed is very optimistic...if you are palin fresher without any prev. exp then at max you can hope to earn 2000 pounds pm....
So boys and girls, consider your options very carefully before emptying your parents' hard earned money.

RE: need help - MS in UK - prongs - 07-05-2008 08:02 AM

hey gaurav... thnx for the info dude.. i didnt know know tht situation wud be so bad.. so i gotta think before applying...

RE: need help - MS in UK - Gaurav_Kaul - 07-06-2008 05:20 AM

@shilpa

The one year masters course in UK is equivalent to US MS...
The thing is in UK masters is quite rigorous, I mean, there are no 2 months spring breaks and winter breaks...There a few days of xmas holidays and thats it. Also, classes are held 3-4 days a week for 3-4 hrs ...this is exculding labs...The point I want to make is , studies are rigrous and in UK and they cover all the stuff in 1 year...I have a friend in Oxford, he also did his masters in 1year, as rest of the Uk unis and of course I need not remind you oxfords position in world academia...

RE: need help - MS in UK - Gaurav_Kaul - 07-07-2008 03:56 AM

prongs Wrote:hey gaurav... thnx for the info dude.. i didnt know know tht situation wud be so bad.. so i gotta think before applying...

its is dude...it is bad, and don't think it's only there in UK, it's in US as well...
recession like that of 2001 is upon us and there will be hardships...but whatever the scenario, IMHO going for higher studies never goes waste. Hopefully after a couple of years the situation will improve and your degree would give you added advantage in the job market...But as you know prediction is difficult in these days of uncertainty, so don't take my words as is...weigh all your options and make an informed decision...

RE: need help - MS in UK - prongs - 07-07-2008 09:42 AM

hey gaurav... am thinking of applying to a few univ's in US and a few in UK... Am interested in doing higher studies in my fld, computers. Am not at all interested in doing MBA.. so i think these r the only options left... so i was just wondering which wud be better.. study in US or Uk ? both economically and educational.....

RE: need help - MS in UK - silversword316 - 08-25-2008 06:08 PM

Thnx for the info Gaurav. Good to hear that. Plz provide links to anything reg. job prospects in UK.

RE: need help - MS in UK - srider_86 - 09-13-2008 10:15 AM

guys cud any 1 tel me abt how gud it is do Masters in Mechanical in U.K . . is the mechanical field gud in U.K . . .wil i get job once i complete my job..

RE: need help - MS in UK - ankindian007 - 03-28-2011 02:50 AM

@Gaurav

Gaurav I got an admit from Oxford for MS in Computer Science. Would you let me know about this friend of yours who was in Oxford. I am in desperate search of someone there.

Do let me know if you can allow me to contact your friend.
Also if you got any info about the Oxford computing dept. and job scenario there i would be glad more than enough.

Thanks in advance dude. Smile

RE: need help - MS in UK - green.petals - 10-18-2011 06:24 PM

(07-06-2008 05:20 AM)Gaurav_Kaul Wrote:  @shilpa

The one year masters course in UK is equivalent to US MS...
The thing is in UK masters is quite rigorous, I mean, there are no 2 months spring breaks and winter breaks...There a few days of xmas holidays and thats it. Also, classes are held 3-4 days a week for 3-4 hrs ...this is exculding labs...The point I want to make is , studies are rigrous and in UK and they cover all the stuff in 1 year...I have a friend in Oxford, he also did his masters in 1year, as rest of the Uk unis and of course I need not remind you oxfords position in world academia...

@gaurav, thats quite insightful. Do recruiters differentiate on wether its a MS from US or MSc from UK?

RE: need help - MS in UK - kiranchaithanya - 10-25-2011 09:49 AM

What do employers in UK look at? Do they give a lot of importance to the reputation of the university we study in?
Also could someone please tell me how good these universities are:

Salford Univdersity

Staffordshire University

Plymouth University

RE: need help - MS in UK - kiranchaithanya - 11-22-2011 09:36 PM

seniors please help?

RE: need help - MS in UK - piyush_garg7 - 02-04-2012 01:04 PM

Hi All,

Visa conditons updated here are very old....can any1 please update the new VISA scenarios after course...???