Edulix MVP

billa Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
RE: "Europe" Fall 2012 | MS CS| IELTS-7.5/9 | UG 6.8/10 | NIT Kurukshetra
Rocker.pg

IMHO, you should not decide your future based on a single person's opinion.

1. If you are leaving LUT just because you want to go to a 'known' university, I don't think Aarhus is much more known.
2. About job we have discussed a lot. Research, you should check the research groups at the universities and see, only you know your research interests.
4. ..
3. Lifestyle? What about that?
5. Country comparision? Are you serious ?
6. ..

PS. I'd say again, this is not America, here, being at Chalmers or any other prestigious university wont make you awesome, the schools wont get you jobs. So, instead of just being at a 'known' university, see what are your interests, and which universities are offering you courses of your choice.

I guess sometimes the past just catches up with you, whether you want it to or not.
05-03-2012 05:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Morphine Away

Morphine Away

I completely agree with billa post.

Rocker.pg You should not let LUT go away just because it's not listed in global ranking. Although there is nothing much to add in billa post. But even as far as I know, if you are planning to work in EU after your masters, you should care more about the course and developing skills not the university reputation.

Country comparison - well, I am sure you are aware that recently in some survey Finland was rated one of the best country to live in. Anyways, that's the not point to discuss about.

I am very shocked with your haste decision. I remember you were quite happy when LUT published their result, but in couple of hours you made your mind not to go for it. That was quick and I think you should again give some thoughts over it.

However, it's your decision at the end.

How to update Infobank and Prof Eval thread

Super busy these days. Replying to threads might take some time.

P.S -> Currently busy with my start-up. If you tag me in your thread please send me a reminder on ujjwal.mairh@gmail.com. Please don't send me the profile evaluation query on my email. That is just for notifying me in case you need a quick response. Also, include your thread link when you send me an email.

"Gravity is not responsible for people falling in love -Albert Einstein"
05-03-2012 07:12 PM
Rocker.pg Offline
Edulix Active Member

Rocker.pg Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 22
billa Morphine I completely get you point. But let me present you a case study.

I go for LUT because I am getting the same education for lesser amount. It will be easier for me to cope with the studies and focus upon the same. Now take into consideration that the difference between cost is not much if I am not offered scholarship in LUT. LUT- 22 Lakh INR **WHEREAS** Chalmers - 35 Lakh INR. Keep in mind that as far as the finance is concerned, my current situation will either allow me to arrange money for both of them or none of them. Now, lets consider I am able to arrange that money I can choose between LUT or Chalmers. More student activities, exposure, peers' intellect, etc at Chalmers. LUT will be able to provide a competent environment although you would agree not as extensive and intensive as Chalmers. The environment plays a major role in a personality development although it is mutually related to an individual's capability for self initiative and motivation. Even then, for eg, I consider LUT given that LUT will provide me with better Return On Investment since in EU it is all about the skill set you develop and the grades you obtain in Masters. So according to you guys after 2 years I will be in a better lifestyle although keep in mind that I have already made a compromise in terms of living style I could have chosen through Chalmers.

Now let me provide you with the worst case scenario, a potential catastrophe. Finland and nordic countries or even EU economy is screwed up for non EU/EEA candidates to get a job. I have no option to either come back to India or try in another sub continent such as America or Australia. Now since I am a graduate from LUT, virtually unknown to the global market, how do you think I will be perceived by the employers at such places? I will have difficulty in obtaining an invitation for interview. Even if I get an invitation, since I have developed a skill set, I will be able to secure a job. But keep in mind that at these places two guys with same skill set are not paid same unlike EU. If you have better recognition of degree you are paid more. Also as of now, you might be thinking after reading this case study, I am very money centric. But please note that what I have spent in 2 years of masters is to be repaid to whomsoever I am being sponsored. Indian market do not pay that well. If I go to America or Australia, I am at risk.

I am not a guy who runs after money. I am a guy who wants to live life with true happiness and passion. I do not want that the cruel ways of the world lead to the shattering of this dream. I hope you got my point. Life is all about past, present and future. You neglect any one of them and you are doomed.

Now to sum up, if I have the money, I am not taking it for granted that I will be spoon fed by any of the universities. I will have to work hard. But I do not want to be caught up in the cruel and ridiculous ways of the world.

Correct me if I am wrong in my thoughts. Your suggestions are like precious diamonds to me. They are my permanent assets. Smile

Bank|MyEval|Guide
Decided on Destination??>>Look Here
05-03-2012 10:29 PM
Morphine Away

Morphine Away

Rocker.pg Nothing to add more to your case study. I know you are doing your best to get into a good university and thus trying to shape your future accordingly. It's just I was wondering what made you drop LUT from your list without even waiting for the scholarship result.

I am sure you are aware that LUT scholarship covers upto tuition fee + living expenses. I am not sure if you have joined the FB group of LUT Fall'12 new comers. The link was mentioned in the admit mail.

I saw some of the post over there and come to know that many people got full tuition fee waiver. Some of them were lucky enough to get the full scholarship as well. The least you can expect is to get a half tuition fee waiver, which will help you to fund your studies and also your decision. Why don't you contact some people through the group who are currently studying in LUT. I am sure they will answer to your question better than me or billa. I know you are full of high spirits and you will surely land up in a good place.

Last but not the least, I don't agree with the following statement
Rocker.pg Wrote:So according to you guys after 2 years I will be in a better lifestyle although keep in mind that I have already made a compromise in terms of living style I could have chosen through Chalmers.
I still don't get what made you think that Chalmers/Sweden will provide you better living style as compare to LUT/Finland. If it is your personal opinion then it's perfectly acceptable. But if you think this is a general notion then I don't think I will buy this one. Both are good - Depends on what basis you are segregating it.

P.S -> I am not favoring LUT in any way. I am being neutral in the discussion.

How to update Infobank and Prof Eval thread

Super busy these days. Replying to threads might take some time.

P.S -> Currently busy with my start-up. If you tag me in your thread please send me a reminder on ujjwal.mairh@gmail.com. Please don't send me the profile evaluation query on my email. That is just for notifying me in case you need a quick response. Also, include your thread link when you send me an email.

"Gravity is not responsible for people falling in love -Albert Einstein"
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2012 04:12 AM by Morphine.)
05-04-2012 02:35 AM
Rocker.pg Offline
Edulix Active Member

Rocker.pg Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 22
Morphine LUT has sent the Admission Letters by post which also notifies about the scholarship offered to the applicant. It should reach to me in few days.

Of course, If I get full scholarship from LUT, I shall leap into it. I have got nothing to lose in that case. If I just get the Tuition fee waiver, I am not sure if I will be joining it. If its gonna be below that, I shall definitely drop it.

Now to discuss the following

Rocker.pg Wrote:So according to you guys after 2 years I will be in a better lifestyle although keep in mind that I have already made a compromise in terms of living style I could have chosen through Chalmers.

Morphine Wrote:I still don't get what made you think that Chalmers/Sweden will provide you better living style as compare to LUT/Finland. If it is your personal opinion then it's perfectly acceptable. But if you think this is a general notion then I don't think I will buy this one. Both are good - Depends on what basis you are segregating it.

Lets consider this to explain myself. Chalmers is definitely more reputed than LUT. I hope you wont disagree on that. Now EU/EEA students don't have to pay tuition fee for both the universities leading to better intellectual students going to Chalmers obviously. Also the Non-EU/EEA high profile intellectual students will herd to Chalmers in the same manner. This is how the distribution of students happen in the universities on the basis of their intellect levels. So, if I go to Chalmers I will definitely be in the company of better peers from whom I can learn better things. Also, Gothenburg is a bigger city than Lappeenranta which will enable myself into more activities during the studies. I am guessing, for the same reasons as discussed here, Chalmers has better student union.
Gothenburg, has big companies where I have the opportunities to build Professional relations. Also, I will like to tell you that I have interned from Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering, South Korea which is a leading shipbuilding company. Gothenburg, being the core of marine engineering has loads of contacts with DSME. Now since I already have strong contacts at DSME, I have already started being in touch with Swedish People. I forsee the potential benefits from these contacts in terms of part-time and after masters jobs.

Existent cherished life environments attract lively people who in turn make the former more cherished to live in. Isn't it the way of the world?

Bank|MyEval|Guide
Decided on Destination??>>Look Here
05-04-2012 10:26 AM
billa Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

billa Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

Rocker.pg As I said earlier, its your own decision. If you are not satisfied with LUT, you should not go there. I just don't get some of your logic.

(05-03-2012 10:29 PM)Rocker.pg Wrote:  More student activities, exposure, peers' intellect, etc at Chalmers. LUT will be able to provide a competent environment although you would agree not as extensive and intensive as Chalmers. The environment plays a major role in a personality development although it is mutually related to an individual's capability for self initiative and motivation.

... and at the same time you are getting worried about the part time jobs. What is use of all that when you wont have any time for anything? Won't it be better that you pay less, so that you don't need to do part time jobs and you get much more free time.

(05-03-2012 10:29 PM)Rocker.pg Wrote:  So according to you guys after 2 years I will be in a better lifestyle although keep in mind that I have already made a compromise in terms of living style I could have chosen through Chalmers.

I still don't get what compromise you will make in living style? If you are just looking at the rankings etc., Finland is often ranked as the best country for living standard in the world, as Morphine said in above post.

Talking about life style, I think Finland is very good place especially for the students, for example students get very cheap apartments (rent can be as low as 250eur, while in Göteborg it will be at least 350eur), you get exact 50% discount on travel tickets, while in Sweden you will get hardly 20-30%. For example, train from Lappeenranta to Helsinki would cost hardly 20eur for student, while from Göteborg to Stockholm would be at least 80eur. Also, as I mentioned in that Lappeenranta is a small city, many student appartments are located on the walking distance to the university, so you dont need to buy monthly bus ticket which is about 30-40eur. So these all things would make your life much cheaper compared to Göteborg.

(05-03-2012 10:29 PM)Rocker.pg Wrote:  Now let me provide you with the worst case scenario, a potential catastrophe. Finland and nordic countries or even EU economy is screwed up for non EU/EEA candidates to get a job. I have no option to either come back to India or try in another sub continent such as America or Australia.

Talking about worst case scenario and returning back to India. Won't it be easier to return the loan of 22L instead of 35L?

(05-03-2012 10:29 PM)Rocker.pg Wrote:  I am not a guy who runs after money. I am a guy who wants to live life with true happiness and passion. I do not want that the cruel ways of the world lead to the shattering of this dream. I hope you got my point. Life is all about past, present and future. You neglect any one of them and you are doomed.

Take it easy.

pS.
This is just my opinion. I'm graudate of Chalmers, and I'm not against it any way, its a great university. But, I think worrying about stuff like lifestyle, peers intellect and all that is pretty much stupid.

I guess sometimes the past just catches up with you, whether you want it to or not.
05-04-2012 11:11 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread