Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Selecting European universities for MSc Chemical Engineering Fall 2012.
ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 6
Unisearch: Link
Selecting European universities for MSc Chemical Engineering Fall 2012.
I am applying for MSc Chemical Engineering for Fall 2012 session. I am looking at European universities (I have already applied to US universities).

I am looking to apply to the best Chemical engineering programs in Europe. I have listed below my initial options for consideration. Seniors, kindly help me in choosing from these:

1. ETH Zurich (MSc Process Engineering) already applied
2. TU Delft (MSc Chem Engg - Process Engg track)
3. TU Eindhoven
4. TU Munich
5. RWTH Aachen (PSE group)
6. TU Berlin
7. Imperial College London (Process Systems Engineering group)

I wish to apply to 3-4 universities in Europe. Please compare between TU Delft vs TU/e and TU Munich vs RWTH Aachen vs TU Berlin. I have already applied to ETH Zurich and will be applying to Imperial College London.

Also , please inform me about any other university that has a great process systems engineering program.

My infobank profile link is given below.

Fellow appers are also requested to weigh in with their comments and knowledge about these univs and their programs

Thank you!
kvbharadwaj2006
Lost Brilliance
deepmetal

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2011 06:33 PM by ishanp.)
11-22-2011 10:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
JT_daniel Offline
Poster of the Year - Europe/UK

JT_daniel Offline
Poster of the Year - Europe/UK

Likes Given: 137
RE: Selecting European universities for MSc Chemical Engineering Fall 2012.
Wow, 4-5 European uni's would make that an eye watering total number of Uni's you would end up applying to. Shocked

Tagging anuragm for this, since I have no idea about Chemical Engg!

Quote:Please compare between TU Delft vs TU/e and TU Munich vs RWTH Aachen vs TU Berlin

Well, I'd rate TU Delft, TU Munich, TU Berlin and RWTH in the premium category, followed by TU/e. But all of these are highly reputed universities and you can be happy to get into any one of these.

FH Aachen (Energy Systems- Renewable Energy)

Available for Mechanical Profile Evaluations for Germany. Please tag me and wait!

Currently swamped with work and Uni, so won't be able to respond immediately. A thousand apologies to all those waiting for Profile Evals or who want questions to be answered. And please do NOT email me. Thank you!
11-23-2011 01:24 AM
ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

yes it would be..

My future plan as of now would be to go for a PhD. I have applied mostly to PhD programs in US, but I guess being a bachelor degree holder I can only apply to MSc programs in most european universities. Also, if MSc misfires or somehow my plan to pursue PhD changes over the next two years, I can opt for a job and see how it goes from there onwards.

My priority would be to pursue research and TU Delft has a great process engineering program with good research facilities and groups. But, a friend of mine told me that all major industries are located in and around Eindhoven and that TU Eindhoven has a great industrial links so if one plans to take up job after MSc TU Eindhoven should trump TU Delft.

Both TU Munich and RWTH Aachen have very interesting research projects in process systems area. But, I am unaware of other good research programs in Germany. I hope anuragm would help me out here.

Thanks!

11-23-2011 01:45 AM
ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

santoshgoku
Lost Brilliance
Please help...

(This post was last modified: 11-23-2011 06:58 PM by ishanp.)
11-23-2011 06:56 PM
anuragm Away

anuragm Away

Likes Given: 10
ishanp Imperial College is quite good for Chemical Engineering, especially Process Engineering. So are TU Delft and TU/e. However, as for Germany, I don't see a good selection of universities.

I don't remember seeing any English Chemical Engineering Programs at TUM or TU Berlin. TUM has some English programs but they are heavy on Chemistry/Material Science.

The PSE program at RWTH is offered by the RWTH International Academy, which is very different from RWTH. The International Academy is a private institute which has a fee of roughly 7500 Euros per year, and no chance of scholarships. Apparently, the program is not worth the money you are paying. The only thing you get is a job opportunity due to the brand recognition. You can get more information reading gb_rouble's posts in this forum or contacting him.

Some other options for Process Engineering in Germany are University of Erlangen, TUHH and OvGU Magdeburg.

Before you jump onto university comparison, take a look at the course modules being offered and the course requirements first.

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2011 01:35 AM by anuragm.)
11-24-2011 01:32 AM
Merlyn Offline
Edulix Active Member

Merlyn Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 2
hey,

any idea with regard to the Medical Systems Engineering course at OvGU Magdeburg?

and in general about the Univ?

Anirudh
11-24-2011 01:57 AM
ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

anuragm
Thank you for your inputs.

I saw RWTH in the IDEA league which has ETHZ, TU Delft and Imperial College London as it's other members. I was thinking of applying to the others that's why I considered RWTH as well, I had no idea about the International Academy being different from RWTH Aachen.

You are right TUM has a chemistry department and not a chemical engg department but Institute of Product development, Institute of Energy Systems and Institute of plant and process engineering in it's mechanical engg department have projects related to process engineering, these are in English. I'll check the requirements again but I guess chemical engg should be allowed to apply.

I was having trouble searching for good process engineering programs in Germany , so I just ended up checking the ones which I knew were good. I'll check out other programs that you have mentioned as well.

Btw, which program are you in and how do you find OvGU Magdeburg in terms of research and internship opportunities? I saw that your univ search was also for good PSE programs, you might be the best person to help me.

I have decided upon ETH Z and Imperial College London. I want to choose one from netherlands and germany each. From Netherlands, I'm slightly inclined towards TU Delft for it's research but I have heard that TU Eindhoven has a better industrial presence and it's research projects are also decent. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks again for replying, really appreciate it.

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2011 06:28 PM by ishanp.)
11-24-2011 02:56 AM
anuragm Away

anuragm Away

Likes Given: 10
ishanp
You can check out the following links for RWTH International Academy:

http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.p...#pid793946
http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.p...#pid867651
http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.p...#pid899158

As for TUM, I do not quite like the mechanical engineering part of their program.

Germany doesn't have many process engineering programs. The most important thing in university selection (or even shortlisting) should be to look at the courses offered - both compulsory and elective. Only then, should you be comparing the research opportunities. When I started out, I applied everywhere (even TUM, Ulm, etc. for Material Science).

My reason for choosing OvGU Magdeburg was that it offered me a very good program overall. In hindsight, I should have actually applied only to Dortmund (sorry for not mentioning this university earlier) or Magdeburg (or maybe Erlangen, but their program is more about materials science). Also, my university is situated right next to MPI Magdeburg and some of the faculty is common. This obviously does not give you automatic access to research opportunities, but there is a very good possibility.

Hope this helps!

Merlyn Please post your query in your own thread.

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2011 08:56 PM by anuragm.)
11-24-2011 08:51 PM
krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 0
(11-22-2011 10:01 PM)ishanp Wrote:  I am applying for MSc Chemical Engineering for Fall 2012 session. I am looking at European universities (I have already applied to US universities).

I am looking to apply to the best Chemical engineering programs in Europe. I have listed below my initial options for consideration. Seniors, kindly help me in choosing from these:

1. ETH Zurich (MSc Process Engineering) already applied
2. TU Delft (MSc Chem Engg - Process Engg track)
3. TU Eindhoven
4. TU Munich
5. RWTH Aachen (PSE group)
6. TU Berlin
7. Imperial College London (Process Systems Engineering group)

I wish to apply to 3-4 universities in Europe. Please compare between TU Delft vs TU/e and TU Munich vs RWTH Aachen vs TU Berlin. I have already applied to ETH Zurich and will be applying to Imperial College London.

Also , please inform me about any other university that has a great process systems engineering program.

My infobank profile link is given below.

Fellow appers are also requested to weigh in with their comments and knowledge about these univs and their programs

Thank you!
@[kvbharadwaj2006]
@[Lost Brilliance]
@[deepmetal]

Hi,
Though TU Delft is ranked very highly, it is not very hard to get into the univ for MSc if a person has a good aggregate and profile. However, getting a scholarship is very difficult unless you have an outstanding profile.
I would rate TU Delft above TU Eindhoven.
ETH is quite competitive. I hope u have also applied to the Swiss embassy scholarship for your MSc programme. If you can get into it, its wonderful.
I dont have much info about the German univs that you have applied for.

I had seen in you profile that you are interested in process systems engineering. Dortmund has a MSc Process systems engineering (PSE) programme while in most univs, PSE is offered as a specialization in masters. TU/e also has a decent PSE group.

You may also want to have a look at NTNU (Norwegian University of Science and Technology).
The process systems engineering group link is
http://www.ntnu.no/kjempros/prosess-systems
The preliminary online application deadline is 1st December for NTNU. So incase you are interested, u need to hurry up.

All the best with you applications

Tag me only for European universities...
-----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=6434
11-28-2011 06:47 AM
ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

TU Delft and TU/e both suit my profile but are a tad expensive without any financial assistance. Can anyone shed some light on student jobs on campus for 1st yr MSc students here.

To krazzycool, Congrats on so many good admits. Where did you finally join? How is your experience of European education?
Even I am more inclined towards TU Delft. ETH Z is a dream university for me and I am applying for govt scholarship too. Hope this dream materializes but it's a very selective university and deservedly so.
PSE program at NTNU looks interesting, I am aware of some of prof. Skogestadt's research and one of his PhD student's thesis.
I looked at TU Dortmund also, thanks anuragm and krazzycool for the info on its PSE program. Their last date for application is in april 2012, so I will apply after I get result notifications from a few universities.

Even though I would love to enroll in Imperial College London, I have dropped it from my list because of it's high cost of studying and living. It is a great program. I'll try here for PhD hopefully!

So my list now becomes:
1. ETH ZURICH
2. TU DELFT
3. TU EINDHOVEN
4. NTNU
5. TU DORTMUND (if required)

MSc programs at TU Munich (Mechanical Engineering) and RWTH Aachen are in German. My bad!

I believe top three univs should be finalised, what do you say?..

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2011 02:12 PM by ishanp.)
11-28-2011 02:09 PM
krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

For details about the Chemical Engineering programme in TU Delft, contact Santoshgokku. He is currently pursuing his masters there.
As you said, TU Delft is pretty expensive. Without aid, it was beyond my reach. I joined NTNU. And ya the professor whom you have mentioned is very well known.

With regards to education system, I would say that it varies from country to country. For example if you look at German univs, they tend to have a lot of coursework. But then univ like TUHH allows you to spend a semester abroad.

I can give u some details about chem engg in my univ. Education is free in Norway for all. There is a small semester fees of 60 euros. You only have to take care of your living expenses. I guess you know that Norway is the most expensive country in the world to live. I do not know the local language here. But then i havnt felt that it is essential for me since almost everyone here knows english (including the bus driver, people in supermarket,etc)

The chemical engineering programme here is of 120 credits. The course details are given in
http://www.ntnu.edu/studies/mschemeng

The annual department report gives you the complete details of the department. It appears like the 2010 report is not yet uploaded on website. However, you can have a look at the 2009 report

http://www.ntnu.edu/c/document_library/g...pId=171224

It is possible to get teaching assistant-ship (TA) from the second semester onwards. Also, there is a 2.5-3 months summer break. During this time, students are allowed to work full time. As far as other part time jobs are concerned, i would say that knowledge of local language is essential. However, that does not mean that it is impossible to find any. I have friends who are working in paper distribution and as kitchen assistants.

Finalizing the universities should be entirely your personal decision. As seniors we can only provide information. You are the best judge of yourself Smile

11-28-2011 05:45 PM
ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

I have been trying to get in touch with him for some time now regarding this, maybe he is currently busy with his project or something.

krazzycool
I have sent my pre-application for NTNU, I would like to ask you a few questions:
1. Which specialization have you chosen?
2. How do you find the research atmosphere at NTNU? I mean do professors guide the MSc students or only concentrate on PhDs.. If you know anything in specific about PSE group, please tell me
3. What is the average cost of living per month in Norway?
4. Are you allowed to work part-time during semester? How much can you expect to earn?
5. How many Indian students study there? not many i guess!!

Thanks in advance, I know the final decision has to be mine. I really appreciate all the effort seniors here put in to assist applicants.
one more thing...

Personal statements in both ETH Zurich and TU Delft require us to give a pre-proposal for our master's thesis. I am not sure how to go about writing this..
Should I mention current/available projects of my preferred professors as my master's thesis topics?
Should I devise some thesis based upon my previous research, an extension of it perhaps, but these departments don't necessarily deal in this specific area. So, getting approval from a professor would be difficult.
Scholarship form of ETH Zurich says:
Pre-proposal for your Master’s thesis Please describe your current idea for your Master’s thesis on page 2. The exact topic will be agreed with the thesis supervisor during the course of your studies.

I believe that the first option should be preferred for this as the exact proposal has to be approved by the professor.
How should I proceed with writing my master's thesis pre-proposal?
santoshgoku
Lost Brilliance
anuragm

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2011 09:23 PM by ishanp.)
11-28-2011 08:54 PM
krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Under which scheme did you apply to NTNU ? There are 2 schemes mainly - The quota scheme and individual funding.

I havn't chosen my master's specialization yet. I am in my 1st semester now. The specialization generally is from 2nd and 3rd semester.
The research is good. This is the only univ in norway which offers chemical engineering. If you go through the department annual report, u can find the details of groups and the list of projects, publications etc. I currently dont have much details about the research done in PSE but I know people who are doing their specialization in PSE group. They are a good number of students doing Ph.D in that group. At a later stage(once you are admitted), i can provide you with the contact details of student in that group.

The housing and electricity costs 3000-3500 NOK per month. Your other expenses come around 1000-2000 NOK per month depending on you life style.

Students are allowed to work part time upto 20 hours/week. Depending on the nature of part time job, you can earn around 150-160 NOK/hour. Keep in mind that getting a part time jobs isnt that easy without knowledge of of local language since Trondheim is student city of Norway (Every 6th person in the city is a student).
There are quite a few Indians here. Indians generally come to this univ for Ph.D and Post doc. Fewer Indians come here due to climatic conditions and the fact that the univ is not known much in India to common people. But definitely students from IIT/IISc are aware of it.

In my application to TUDelft, I had mentioned the 3 areas that I would like to work on. I did describe a paragraph about each topic and also mentioned that names of professors who are heading that project.

Hope this answers your queries.

11-30-2011 12:43 AM
ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

I applied under the individual funding scheme, I thought the quota scheme didn't apply to us.

Thanks I will go through the annual report once.

What you are saying is that even if we are able to secure 10hrs part time work a week, we'll be able to pay off our living expenses (for an avg lifestyle)?

Yes even I chose the projects mentioned on the research group's website at TU Delft.
But ETH Zurich asks for a complete pre-proposal in their scholarship form, I am quoting here:

Quote:Pre-proposal for your Master’s thesis: Please describe your current idea for your Master’s thesis on page 2. The exact topic will be agreed with the thesis supervisor during the course of your studies.
Pre-proposal / Description (max. 500 words) Objectives and goals; methods of investigation and/or implementation; prior work, available data; data to be collected;timetable and milestones, resources needed, etc.

Right now, I'm not in a position to explain my intended master's thesis in such detail. Do they really expect you to know this much at the time of applying? Should I contact a professor regarding this, tell him about my research interest and maybe if he has a new project then mention that in my proposal??
I am very confused about this pre-proposal passage. Any sort of help would be highly appreciated.

(This post was last modified: 11-30-2011 11:55 AM by ishanp.)
11-30-2011 11:53 AM
krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Yes. It should be possible with 10 hrs of work/week.
From your post on scholarship application, it appears like there have been quite a few changes from last yr. So i dont think i will be able to help u on it. However, y dont u call the scholarship division to enquire ?

11-30-2011 08:45 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread