Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Selecting European universities for MSc Chemical Engineering Fall 2012.
anuragm Away

anuragm Away

Likes Given: 10
Unisearch: Link
RE: Selecting European universities for MSc Chemical Engineering Fall 2012.
Well, they have asked for a masters thesis proposal. You would need to read some of the latest work going on in a topic (lets say fluidization reactors, you might as well pick it up from your final year thesis or one of your smaller projects), but you need not go into the a lot of details in your proposal (you have only 500 words anyway). Now, I cannot comment about specific universities, but it is better if your topic is related to your program (or some of the research going on in the university).

Don't worry too much about it. It is not even a final proposal, rather a very hazy outline of a topic of your interest. Just pick up a topic, read some papers, and write a short proposal about what you intend to do and how you intend to proceed.

(This post was last modified: 11-30-2011 11:31 PM by anuragm.)
11-30-2011 11:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
coolrahul11 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

coolrahul11 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 12
krazzycool, why didnt you choose TUHH over NTNU??...I thought Germany was a better place (in terms of job oppurtunities) than Norway for chemical engineers..
12-01-2011 12:23 AM
ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 6
anuragm My previous projects are not totally in sync with the research activities of group at ETH. So, I guess I will read some recent papers from PhD students of the separations group and try to find an decent extension to any of the projects which could work as my master's thesis proposal.

But the site says that 'The exact topic will be agreed with the thesis supervisor during the course of your studies.' This line was my main cause of concern, because it also means that if the professor does not like my proposal he will reject it altogether...

I think I will make something up and try to show future application for it..
Thanks for the advice!!

12-01-2011 12:09 PM
krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 0
(12-01-2011 12:23 AM)coolrahul11 Wrote:  krazzycool, why didnt you choose TUHH over NTNU??...I thought Germany was a better place (in terms of job oppurtunities) than Norway for chemical engineers..

Choosing between the two universities was a bit hard since many in India have heard about TUHH but none of them heard of NTNU. Infact last year, I couldn't find a single person in Edulix who had any kind of useful info about NTNU which was quite strange. Anyways some of the reasons for choosing NTNU are

1. I was not very keen in a bio related field. The coursework offered at TUHH required me to take up courses related to Bio since the programme is MSc. Chemical and Bioprocess Engineering. However, in NTNU, my course is purely Chemical engineering. However, i do have the option of choosing approved courses from other departments here. Infact you can also attend classes and if you feel that any subject is tough, you can unregister from the exam for that subject. You are also given one opportunity to improve your exam score in the next year.

2. NTNU has all the areas of research related to chemical engineering The department has over 100 publications each year in top journals which shows that the quality of research is good.(Refer the annual report of the department for details of research groups, projects, publications, student exchange,etc).
I also have more choice to choose the area of specialization here. In general, you get to work in whichever group you want for your masters thesis, since the number of available topics are generally much larger than the number of students. There is also possibility to do thesis in a company.

3. SINTEF (which is the largest independent research organisation in Scandinavia) has some of its laboratories located in the university. SINTEF (http://www.sintef.no/home/), Pulp and Fiber Institute (http://www.pfi.no/default____151.aspx) and Ugelstad laboratory (http://www.chemeng.ntnu.no/research/polymer/ugelstadlab/scope.htm) are located in the university premises and have co-operation with chemical engg dept. In addition, you also have researchers from some top petroleum companies working in the university.

4. There is opportunity to work in summer full time for 3 months. The department also offers summer jobs and you do get paid for it. There is also opportunity for getting Teaching Assistantships.

5. Just for your information, for Fall 2011 admission there were around 40 international masters programmes offered by university. The total seats available for international prorgammes were only around 500-550. However, there were more than 11,000 applicants who had sent the final applications. So the number of preliminary applications was much higher. A lot of students from Europe also tend to come here on erasmus programme for a semester.

6. NTNU is the only univ in norway which offers MSc and PhD in Chemical Engineering.

7. Job opportunity is the same everywhere. It is equally good here as in Germany. Norway is rich in natural gas and hence all the major oil and gas companies are present.

Tag me only for European universities...
-----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=6434
12-01-2011 09:15 PM
ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

I just got an e-mail from Office of International Relations, NTNU regarding the evaluation of my preliminary application.

It said "we are sorry to inform you that your application has been turned down after carefully considering the information you have given on the preliminary application form."

The only reason I can think of is my low GPA, but doesn't 7.1/10 from a decent university in India with an international paper and 2 presentations merit even a final stage of application review?

I am a little taken aback by the result and I am considering whether I should look for more safe schools in both US and Europe.

krazzycool Maybe I wasn't meant to study in Norway anyway thanks a lot for your effort and help.

12-22-2011 12:06 AM
krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

@ishanp

Quite unfortunate.
The admission to NTNU is highly competitive. Education is free in Norway so there is generally a huge number of applicants. The university admits only 12-15 International students in MSc Chemical Engineering programme each year. Maybe this time, the number of applications were much higher.

Good luck with the rest of your applications.

12-22-2011 12:21 AM
ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

12-15?
That's a small figure, this puts things into perspective.

Thanks

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2011 01:27 AM by ishanp.)
12-22-2011 12:26 AM
krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Yes. That is because the domestic students follow a integrated MS Chemical Engineering programme. So the international students and domestic students attend classes together in final 2 years.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2011 05:52 AM by krazzycool.)
12-22-2011 12:35 AM
Arulselvan Offline
New Edulixian

Arulselvan Offline
New Edulixian

I've applied for the Advanced Materials Science (Elite graduate program) .........I have a cg of 8.5 , gre of 313/348 and ielts of 8/9..My papers are limited to local presentations...how are my prospects of selection if anyone has any idea of it..........'ll be very helpful
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2012 10:32 PM by Arulselvan.)
02-12-2012 10:23 PM
anuragm Away

anuragm Away

Likes Given: 10
Arulselvan Please don't hijack someone else's thread. Create your own and post everything you feel is relevant to your profile. Tag seniors there and you will have your answers.

02-13-2012 12:45 AM
Arulselvan Offline
New Edulixian

Arulselvan Offline
New Edulixian

k.....sorry abt that
02-13-2012 06:28 PM
ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

My application for MS got rejected by both TU Delft and ETH Zurich. I got a rejection letter from UC Davis and UW Madison (shouldn't have applied here anyway) today. I am deeply concerned whether my university selection is correct or not. But there's nothing I can do now to change it.

I am planning to apply to PSE programs at TU Dortmund and OvGU Magdeburg. My major concern is that my GPA is 7.1/10 (increasing progressively, last 2 years ~8.5/10) is on the lower side.
anuragm Can you throw some light on the research taking place at OvGU Magdeburg and job opportunities afterwards. How is the research atmosphere in the campus? .. the program's reputation in the industry? and the overall experience of studying there I mean including weather, friendly people, importance of knowing the local language etc.. I am asking about university's reputation because it's only 19 years old and industries usually prefer (relatively) old universities with ex students as their alumni...
I have also looked at TUHH but their program has a major portion dedicated to bio-process. I don't have any previous knowledge about those subjects and hence am not sure if I should apply there.

Information about any other good PSE program in Germany or even EU would be highly appreciated.
Many thanks.

02-15-2012 07:05 PM
krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Aalto university in Finland also offers a 2 year PSE course. Unfortunately, the deadline for online application was Feb 15th.

http://studies.aalto.fi/en/programs/tech...ering-pse/

02-16-2012 07:56 PM
ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

Thank you for the suggestion.

krazzycoolCan you shed some light on Chemical and Bioprocessing program at TUHH or FAU Erlangen-Nurmberg?

02-16-2012 08:31 PM
krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Like what u have mentioned in ur earlier post, the MSc programme at TUHH also has some subjects related to bio. However, the best place for u to get more info about this programme is on facebook. There are a good number Indian students at the univ.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/tuhh2011/

Last year, i was speaking to an applicant there. She was saying that students from TUHH have gone to UC berkeley in their 3rd sem and have also been able to end up in TU Delft for PhD.

I don not know much about erlangen-nernberg. I know they have a chemical engg programme. But i didn't show much interest since they were asking for GATE score in their application and i had never written GATE. Check the reqmnts once again for this univ.

Dont delay ur application to TU dortmund incase u r serious about the univ for PSE. There is a facebook page for this particular programme and the programme co-ordinator is a very nice person and answers all queries in the forum

http://www.facebook.com/groups/80766994563/

02-17-2012 11:39 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread