Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Selecting European universities for MSc Chemical Engineering Fall 2012.
anuragm Away

anuragm Away

Likes Given: 10
Unisearch: Link
RE: Selecting European universities for MSc Chemical Engineering Fall 2012.
ishanp Go through this thread once for OvGU Magdeburg.

http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=101650

As for the research, there is a lot of work happening in fuel cells. We have a Max-Planck Institute right next to the university and there are many common professors. In fact, one my professors had recently invited some students who were doing well in his class to an introductory tour of his research group. So, getting to work on a research project is not that difficult if you do well in class and exams.

TU Dortmund has a good PSE program. They have a pre-application. Also, their SoP limit is only 1000 characters!

Also, GATE scores are not compulsory for University of Erlangen-Nuremberg. It is quite good, but has a lot of Materials Science courses.

02-18-2012 05:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 6
anuragm krazzycool
Thanks for your continuous help guys.

Please evaluate my profile for these 3 programs:
1. TU Dortmund - MS PSE
2. OvGU Magdeburg - Chemical and Energy Engg MSc
3. FAU Erlangen Nuremberg - MSc Chemical and Biochemical Engineering

Also tell me about any other chemical engineering program known for a good process engineering department which would suit my profile.

And please give me information about general expenses incurred by students studying in Germany and hours of work per month/year permitted (generally available) for Indian guys in Germany. In other worlds, how much would a master's degree from Germany generally cost and how much can we make up by working over there?

Thanks a lot.

02-19-2012 12:24 AM
anuragm Away

anuragm Away

(02-19-2012 12:24 AM)ishanp Wrote:  Please evaluate my profile for these 3 programs:
1. TU Dortmund - MS PSE Mod
2. OvGU Magdeburg - Chemical and Energy Engg MSc Mod/Safe - They gave out an unusually high number of admits this year
3. FAU Erlangen Nuremberg - MSc Chemical and Biochemical Engineering Ambi/Mod - This program is not completely in English, though

Quote:Also tell me about any other chemical engineering program known for a good process engineering department which would suit my profile.

Sadly there are not many Process Engineering programs in Germany and you have covered them all now (TUHH has more of Bio-process engineering). Imperial College and University of Manchester have some good programs if you can afford them or if you secure an early admit and apply for scholarships (most scholarships end by March).

Quote:And please give me information about general expenses incurred by students studying in Germany and hours of work per month/year permitted (generally available) for Indian guys in Germany. In other worlds, how much would a master's degree from Germany generally cost and how much can we make up by working over there?

Thanks a lot.

This is being repeated the n-th time on this forum. General expenses vary from city to city - mostly because of the accommodation costs and tuition fee. The other costs remain more or less the same. In all, I think your monthly expenditures can vary from 350 Euros (cheap room, cook at home, rarely go out) to 600 Euros (expensive room, go out often, travel a lot).

Officially you are allowed to work 90 days a year. If you work in the university then you are exempt from this rule. Though Magdeburg has some part-time job options, the opportunities are limited as compared to bigger cities like Berlin and Munich. So, a lot of people go to these cities between semesters to work for a month or two. A significant portion of your yearly budget can be earned through these jobs. Some guys I know worked in Amazon for 25 days and earned about 1400 Euros (after tax).

02-19-2012 01:04 AM
krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 0
You have a decent chance of getting into Dortmund. The monthly living expense there comes to around 400-425 euros (This is based on feedback i got from one of the guys who passed out from the univ in 2010).

TU Eindhoven has a chemical engineering programme. I think it also has a PSE specialization. The professor who teaches PSE subject in my univ was previously teaching the same in Eindhoven.

Tag me only for European universities...
-----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=6434
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2012 02:41 PM by krazzycool.)
02-19-2012 04:51 AM
ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

Thank you!

02-19-2012 02:11 PM
ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

anuragm
Would it be advisable to prof lett (contact professors) in German universities at the time of applying?

02-22-2012 06:10 PM
anuragm Away

anuragm Away

I would advise against it.

02-22-2012 06:18 PM
ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

Okay cool.

02-22-2012 06:24 PM
ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

anuragm
I wanted to ask a couple of questions regarding OvGU Magdeburg's application procedure.
1. On the FVST website, it is mentioned that our applications should be sent through uni-assist. There is a list of programs for which prospective students should submit applications through uni-assist and CEE is not mentioned on that list. Where should I send the application? ...the department or uni-assist?
2. Is it necessary to get the recommendation form filled up? My recommendation letters are already signed and sealed. I would have to go back to my college to get the reference form attached.

03-04-2012 03:29 AM
anuragm Away

anuragm Away

ishanp I sent the documents directly to the university, but I believe the procedure has changed. You have to apply via uni-assist. The FVST page mentions it clearly.

http://www.uni-magdeburg.de/isut/master/index_m.html

They are in the process of updating the university website. So it is possible that the page you are referring to has not been updated yet.

For the second query, I think a reco without the form should be alright. However, it would be best to mail Sylvia Nagel for a confirmation.

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 07:09 AM by anuragm.)
03-04-2012 07:07 AM
ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

anuragm
This is the page I was referring to. It was updated on 9.1.12, hence my confusion.

http://www.uni-magdeburg.de/unimagdeburg...l_2012.pdf

I will mail Sylvia Nagel to inquire about this.

03-04-2012 02:21 PM
ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

krazzycool anuragm
Hey guys!

My application period is nearly over (UAlberta and McMaster remain). I have got admits from UMASS, Amherst (PhD), Rutgers (MS- unfunded) and TU Dortmund (MS-PSE).

Financially (also considering the US PhD tag) UMASS seems to be the most attractive option. But, research taking place at UMASS is not entirely in line with my current research interests. For this reason, I am not sure about committing for a 5 year period. I am willing to look at new projects available with different profs, but I am not sure if it would be wise to choose a project/topic for doctoral research about which I have little or no previous knowledge. I would appreciate your comments on this.

TU Dortmund has a nice program too.They have good research projects in my area of interest. Two considerations here are job availability and language barrier. Also there are very few students here who go on to pursue PhD. Can you guys comment on the reputation of the MS-PSE program at TU Dortmund. How is the post MS job scenario for internationals in Germany?

MS from Rutgers is unfunded. Given my other two admits, I will most likely reject this one.

I am also waiting for Canada results to come through (hope to get a funded MS). I guess UMass would be my final destination, but I am still not sure. Guidance and comments are desperately sought for university selection.

Thanks.

05-05-2012 03:34 AM
vikksuriya Offline
Edulix Senior Member

vikksuriya Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 4
ishanp at the Phd level it is imperative that u go after ur research interests.It is not wise to go for a phd on something which u have no interest in or have little beforehand knowledge..You could end up losing interest half way through and getting Phd from any university in USA isnt like in the Indian universities.In most univs in India if u spend the 5 year period with a prof u are given a phd....not the case there...a definite contribution to the subject is necessary.You could potentially waste 5 years.Please go after ur research interest.I would suggest TU Dortmund,job availability for chemical engineers shouldnt be much of an issue in Germany if u pick up German in two years....Plus it would give u the chance to back out of Phd if ur situation changes in a couple of years...

http://edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=135667

M.S Sustainable Energy Technology at TU/eindhoven
Tag me only for evaluating Renewable energy profiles
05-05-2012 09:55 AM
anuragm Away

anuragm Away

ishanp Since your long term goal is a PhD, the offer by UMASS seems quite good. Do you have an advisor finalized yet? If yes, then it would be best to contact him and get an idea about what you would be working on. The students who have worked with him in the past could also give you a good idea about what it is like to work with him. At the end of it all, the alignment of research interests still remains the most important thing. You should not accept the offer if you think that the current areas of research at UMASS are totally out of sync with what you want to do.

The fact that you are still inclined towards UMASS means you have at least some interest in their research. Take some time and go through your advisor's recent publications in some detail. You are not compelled to make a decision till the deadline. Think about it hard, because if you are still unsure about the PhD by the deadline, you will be better off completing MS first.

And finally, the PSE program at TU Dortmund is quite good. The good thing about choosing Germany is that you can aim for a PhD after MS because of the low financial burden. You can put forth your PhD related queries in the official PSE facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/80766994563/

All the best!

05-05-2012 04:41 PM
krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 0
ishanp
Congrats on your admit to UMass Applause It is a good university and it was only a matter of time that you got a PhD admit. You have a good profile and hence the number of rejects were very surprising.

PSE is a narrow field. Once you join it, then your career is going to be in control systems only. Also, the work related to masters thesis is done only in the 4th semester. Try to find out whether it is possible to work with a professor in 1st year. Or else you may have to take a 6 month or 1 year break between your MS and PhD since your research profile is not going to change in one year time. So take up this field only if you are 100% interested and committed.

If your final interest is to get a PhD, then go to UMass. If you put in enough efforts, you can get your PhD in under 4 years. People apply to univ wanting to join a particular research group, but then many change their minds later for various reasons. So always have a 2nd topic or area of interest. Getting to work with the right professor is very important when you are going for a PhD. So start contacting the professors. I doubt whether any student will give you a negative opinion about their professor unless they know you personally. Getting a PhD admission nowadays is very hard.

Tag me only for European universities...
-----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=6434
05-05-2012 10:11 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread