Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Selecting European universities for MSc Chemical Engineering Fall 2012.
ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 6
Unisearch: Link
RE: Selecting European universities for MSc Chemical Engineering Fall 2012.
(05-05-2012 09:55 AM)vikksuriya Wrote:  @[ishanp] at the Phd level it is imperative that u go after ur research interests.It is not wise to go for a phd on something which u have no interest in or have little beforehand knowledge..You could end up losing interest half way through and getting Phd from any university in USA isnt like in the Indian universities.In most univs in India if u spend the 5 year period with a prof u are given a phd....not the case there...a definite contribution to the subject is necessary.You could potentially waste 5 years.Please go after ur research interest.I would suggest TU Dortmund,job availability for chemical engineers shouldnt be much of an issue in Germany if u pick up German in two years....Plus it would give u the chance to back out of Phd if ur situation changes in a couple of years...

My research interest is in PSE and 2 profs at UMass are dealing with PSE projects, but their application is on mainly Biological systems, sustainable energy, colloids etc. So, actually it wouldn't be completely new, just new systems have to be considered.
I have heard that in Germany, companies give preference to German nationals over EU people over non-EU (internationals) for jobs, even if you have a German degree. Is their any credibility in this rumor/statement.
(05-05-2012 04:41 PM)anuragm Wrote:  @[ishanp] Since your long term goal is a PhD, the offer by UMASS seems quite good. Do you have an advisor finalized yet? If yes, then it would be best to contact him and get an idea about what you would be working on. The students who have worked with him in the past could also give you a good idea about what it is like to work with him. At the end of it all, the alignment of research interests still remains the most important thing. You should not accept the offer if you think that the current areas of research at UMASS are totally out of sync with what you want to do.

The fact that you are still inclined towards UMASS means you have at least some interest in their research. Take some time and go through your advisor's recent publications in some detail. You are not compelled to make a decision till the deadline. Think about it hard, because if you are still unsure about the PhD by the deadline, you will be better off completing MS first.

And finally, the PSE program at TU Dortmund is quite good. The good thing about choosing Germany is that you can aim for a PhD after MS because of the low financial burden. You can put forth your PhD related queries in the official PSE facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/80766994563/

All the best!
anuragm and krazzycool
Thank you guys. I know it's a big admit for me. It's just the change in research options that has got me thinking.
Adviser selection will take place in November. Before that we would have the opportunity to visit all professors and discuss their current projects. I have shortlisted two professors. One of them is a very senior and reputed distinguished professor who is also the University Vice Chancellor for Research. Would it be advisable to go for such high profile advisers keeping in mind his other responsibilities? Would he be able to devote sufficient time to a graduate student? The other professor has around 5-6 students in his group. I had listed the names of these two in my SOP also. I will contact a student of the second professor to gauge research opportunities and atmosphere in the group.
Does MS-PSE at TU Dortmund have a good reputation as a research program? May I use this degree to target top European schools like Imperial, ETHZ etc. for PhD? Would PhD from Europe have a similar market value as one from US? (I know it's about what you do in PhD that matters most, but in general with regards to the degree value.)
I am also waiting for Canadian university results because they have good research projects and industrial collaborations. Also, I have heard that in Canada you are assigned an adviser from the first semester itself, so you have the whole program duration to conduct research. This can translate into good publications and would enable me to target more reputed US univs for PhD.
Having said all that, I have a PhD admit in hand and all these considerations are about getting a PhD admit in future (which I may or may not get). Only positive thing about going for MS now and PhD later is that I can postpone the decision now and take it after two years when I might be able to judge better. But is this reason good enough?
Should I ask UMass whether I can complete my MS first and then start with PhD? and whether my MS would also be funded?

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2012 01:57 AM by ishanp.)
05-06-2012 12:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 0
(05-06-2012 12:35 AM)ishanp Wrote:  I have heard that in Germany, companies give preference to German nationals over EU people over non-EU (internationals) for jobs, even if you have a German degree. Is their any credibility in this rumor/statement.

It is the same in US and UK also (Infact many companies in US and UK mention in the job advertisement itself that only people with right to work will be considered). In every country, there is some preference given to the locals. You need to prove that you are better than the local for getting hired. Why else should a company hire you over a local ?
Having said that, Germany is in need of engineers. They have an aging population and hence they do not have sufficient local people to fill up. Hence there is even a talk about increasing the retirement age. Even if the locals take up the jobs, there is considerable amount of jobs left. No wonder people from all over Europe go to Germany.

(05-06-2012 12:35 AM)ishanp Wrote:  Would it be advisable to go for such high profile advisers keeping in mind his other responsibilities? Would he be able to devote sufficient time to a graduate student? The other professor has around 5-6 students in his group. I had listed the names of these two in my SOP also. I will contact a student of the second professor to gauge research opportunities and atmosphere in the group.

A general relationship - The amount of time spent is inversely proportional to the size of the group. In a big group, there will be researchers/post docs to help you get over the initial nerves and also help you get started with your research. Later on as a PhD student, you are expected to design your own experiments. The professor will however keep track of your progress and you will have regular meetings.

(05-06-2012 12:35 AM)ishanp Wrote:  Does MS-PSE at TU Dortmund have a good reputation as a research program? May I use this degree to target top European schools like Imperial, ETHZ etc. for PhD?

The system of PhD admission in Europe is different from US. In Europe, incase of open application, you need to contact the professor and express your research interest. If he likes your profile, then you will be called for an interview. Most openings for PhD positions are advertised on website and it tends to be on rolling basis. So you need to keep checking the web-pages of the department throughout the year. Europe doesn't believe in ranking of Universities like US. Infact you will never hear about any kind of university rankings in most of Europe. Hence for a PhD, it shouldn't really matter from which European university you have graduated from.

(05-06-2012 12:35 AM)ishanp Wrote:  Would PhD from Europe have a similar market value as one from US? (I know it's about what you do in PhD that matters most, but in general with regards to the degree value.)

A PhD has its own value irrespective of the university you do it from. Compared to US, the research done in Europe are more industry oriented. There is a high probability that you will be working on a problem faced in industry. You will be having a good interaction with industry and hence once the PhD is done, there are high chances of the student joining the same industry.
Yes fundamental research is carried on in many universities. Especially in fields like catalysis. However, most of the funding for fundamental research comes from the research councils and science foundations.

(05-06-2012 12:35 AM)ishanp Wrote:  I am also waiting for Canadian university results because they have good research projects and industrial collaborations. Also, I have heard that in Canada you are assigned an adviser from the first semester itself, so you have the whole program duration to conduct research. This can translate into good publications and would enable me to target more reputed US univs for PhD.
Yes this is the advantage of Canadian Universities. Infact in the first month itself, you get started with your thesis work. One of my friend ended up with 4 publications in top journals during his MS in Canada and hence got into a top US university for his PhD. From publication point of view, Canadian MS education structure is the best.

(05-06-2012 12:35 AM)ishanp Wrote:  Having said all that, I have a PhD admit in hand and all these considerations are about getting a PhD admit in future (which I may or may not get). Only positive thing about going for MS now and PhD later is that I can postpone the decision now and take it after two years when I might be able to judge better. But is this reason good enough?
Should I ask UMass whether I can complete my MS first and then start with PhD? and whether my MS would also be funded?

I doubt whether Top US universities are generous enough to offer tuition fee waiver for MS students unless you are from IIT or having outstanding research background. UMass offered you a PhD since they feel that you have the potential for research else they would have offered you admission for MS.
So start with your PhD and incase you dont like it, graduate with a masters degree at the end of second year. However in that case, you will not be in a position to ask your professor for a reco letter for applying to PhD elsewhere.
05-06-2012 06:23 AM
anuragm Away

anuragm Away

Likes Given: 10
ishanp krazzycool has already posted a very detailed reply. Best of luck!

05-08-2012 12:11 AM
ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

krazzycool Thanks for the detailed response.

So if I accept UMass' offer, it's PhD either now or never.

Considering the worst case scenario

1. I will give the Qualifying exam in Jan'13, if I fail then I will be asked to work towards a masters degree. Would this degree still be funded?

2. If I pass the qualifying exam, then I become a PhD student and would be expected to give a research proposal in the next year. If my status changes to a doctoral candidate without getting a master's degree, how would I be able to graduate with a masters degree?

Would graduating with an MS degree (without recommendation form my adviser) affect my job prospects in the industry? Are recommendation letters required for job interviews also?
I have almost made up my mind to go for PhD. It's a wonderful opportunity, I don't wish to leave it only to repent later. I'll give it my best shot and take whatever I get. No more negative energies..

Thank you anuragm and krazzycool for being so generous and incisive with your suggestions. You've been of great help. All the best.

Next step VISA....

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2012 03:47 AM by ishanp.)
05-08-2012 03:32 AM
krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 0
(05-08-2012 03:32 AM)ishanp Wrote:  1. I will give the Qualifying exam in Jan'13, if I fail then I will be asked to work towards a masters degree. Would this degree still be funded?

As far as i know, US universities gives 2 chances for getting through the qualifying exam for PhD. It is only when you dont clear even after the second attempt that the department asks you to shift to a MS degree. Qualifiers are exams to test your fundamental knowledge about the subject. Hence there is minimal chance of failure.

Quote:2. If I pass the qualifying exam, then I become a PhD student and would be expected to give a research proposal in the next year. If my status changes to a doctoral candidate without getting a master's degree, how would I be able to graduate with a masters degree?

A candidate interested in a PhD rarely defends his masters thesis. This is due to the fact the university may not allow to use the same research for defending MS and also PhD. Hence he may have to start fresh again (Kindly check up about this thing once you join the Univ). So defend your MS only if you do not want to do a PhD.

Quote:Would graduating with an MS degree (without recommendation form my adviser) affect my job prospects in the industry? Are recommendation letters required for job interviews also?

It may be hard for you to ask reco from professor to apply for PhD in another university. However, the professor should not be having any problem with giving reference for jobs. Some of my friends have discontinued their PhD and defended their MS. They did not have difficulty in finding a job.
I feel that the role of the professor is vastly exaggerated w.r.t getting invited for an interview. Very few professors directly refer a candidate to a company for job. Most of the companies call you for an interview based on your skills. Only in the final stage of the interview process, the company asks for the reference before deciding upon the candidate.

Quote:Thank you anuragm and @[krazzycool] for being so generous and incisive with your suggestions. You've been of great help. All the best.

Next step VISA....

Thanks. All the best with your visa process and your education.
We will be glad if you remain active in this forum once you join the University and help the students next year with their application process.

Tag me only for European universities...
-----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=6434
05-08-2012 02:25 PM
ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

ishanp Offline
Edulix Active Member

krazzycool
Yes. I would love to help future confused appers like me, I know now how beneficial it can be.

05-15-2012 03:19 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread