bhanu860 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

bhanu860 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
Univ of Bonn and TU Kaiserslautern : CS
Hello Seniors

I have got admits from Uni Bonn & TU Kaiserslautern for their Master of Computer Science programs. Result from Saarland Univ is still pending. I have done some homework but still need your valuable opinions about these Univs. Here is what I have collected on these univs:

1. Bonn has a better world ranking, confirmed by many websites like this one:
http://www.topuniversities.com/universit...er-science
2. DAAD university comparison results in the following order: Saarland -> Kaiserslautern -> Bonn. This has made me totally confused because as per daad I shud select Kaiserslautern over Bonn. Shocked

What to do, Which one to go for? Also, I need help on comparing Job opportunities and cost of living in Bonn V/s Kaiserslautern.

Seniors, Plz help.
12-13-2011 07:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
sandipmuk Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sandipmuk Offline
Edulix Frequent User

RE: Univ of Bonn and TU Kaiserslautern : CS
My case is exactly same as yours. I got admit from uni bonn and kaiserslautern both for computer science but I am in favor of bonn because of the world ranking and the advantages bonn city has. I came to know from seniors bonn is a very good city to live in and relatively cheap. Moreover since it was the earlier capital of Germany it has good number of international population and decent number of students jobs.
By the way did u send the letter of acceptance to kaiserslautern ISGS by mail?

It will be great if any seniors can throw some light regarding these two universities which will definitely help in deciding the destination.
Thanks,
Sandip

12-13-2011 11:27 PM
bhanu860 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

bhanu860 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Thanks Sandip, this info really helped Smile. No, I havn't sent the letter of acceptance yet and am thinking of not to send it, why unnecessarily trouble them if I am not gonna join. Did u?

One question, from the univs listed in your infobank, if you get admit from all of them then which one are you gonna join? And what about saarland, if I get admit from saarland then? Because again, Bonn has better world ranking than saarland too while Daad stats shows saarland much ahead of Bonn.
12-14-2011 09:36 AM
sandipmuk Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sandipmuk Offline
Edulix Frequent User

I got reject from Saarland yesterday..but saarland is much ahead of bonn in terms of research in computer science. Now for paderborn and darmstadt I am not going to wait for them as they will post result in feb and I have to start visa procedure in Jan if I want to join bonn. Only university I will be looking into is Munich. I hope they will post result in Jan.
My choice of preference was as follows:
Munich -> Saarland -> Bonn -> Darmstadt -> kaiserslautern -> paderborn

Since saarland is gone munich is the only univ left in my choice. But I think the chance of getting to munich is very less hence I am 90% sure of going to bonn.

I would like to request seniors if they can give some insight regarding these two universities.
What I am confused is which ranking matters more and should be given more importance.
1. World ranking which shows international recognition of the university.
2. Daad ranking which gives detail ranking on the basis of quality of study.

It would be a great help if seniors could guide about how we should finalize the destination.what are the factor that should be looked into. I am tagging some seniors if they can help.
anjanakarthik
anuragm
JT_daniel
yogi1

12-14-2011 10:58 AM
MS12 Offline
New Edulixian

MS12 Offline
New Edulixian

hello bhanu860 & sandipmuk....cngrts to both of u for the admits Applause[/align]

I also got the admission offer from TU-KL......masters in applied computer science.......and have to respond to it asap...
whats ur take on TU-KL?? I got the offer for summer sem beginning april 2012......do u think i shd wait for decisions from TU-Munich, and other better univs where I have applied for winter sem??

How do you find TU-KL?? Ny positives/negatives??
12-14-2011 02:38 PM
bhanu860 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

bhanu860 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Hi MS12

Thanks, n Congrats to you too Smile. Well, in my opinion TU KL is one of the good Univs for Computer Sc. They have a pretty good DAAD stats. And I guess instead of waiting for results from some better univs, to be on safer side, accept this admit. But if you think you have a shot in some better univs and u r willing to wait till fall, then wait. Also, there is an option to ask for an extension to fall if you don't wanna join in summer. Ultimately, it has to be your call.
12-14-2011 02:56 PM
MS12 Offline
New Edulixian

MS12 Offline
New Edulixian

(12-14-2011 02:56 PM)bhanu860 Wrote:  Hi MS12

Thanks, n Congrats to you too Smile. Well, in my opinion TU KL is one of the good Univs for Computer Sc. They have a pretty good DAAD stats. And I guess instead of waiting for results from some better univs, to be on safer side, accept this admit. But if you think you have a shot in some better univs and u r willing to wait till fall, then wait. Also, there is an option to ask for an extension to fall if you don't wanna join in summer. Ultimately, it has to be your call.

Hi bhanu860
thnks fr quik reply man!! I didn't know there is any option for extension too....thnks to tell me dt... Smile
hey can i apply for DAAD scholarship now after getting the admit??
also how much is the fees for TU-KL??
bhanu860
hey where to look for tha DAAD stats?? plz send me the link...
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2011 03:07 PM by MS12.)
12-14-2011 03:05 PM
sandipmuk Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sandipmuk Offline
Edulix Frequent User

As said correctly by bhanu860 u should accept it and later u can deny or extend to fall whatever u want.It's not like bond or such that once u signed u have to go..it's to show that u are serious about it...Since u don't have another admit right now there is no point of letting it go away.
And daad ranking of this university:
http://www.daad.de/deutschland/hochschul...&id=400159

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2011 03:20 PM by sandipmuk.)
12-14-2011 03:19 PM
MS12 Offline
New Edulixian

MS12 Offline
New Edulixian

(12-14-2011 03:19 PM)sandipmuk Wrote:  As said correctly by bhanu860 u should accept it and later u can deny or extend to fall whatever u want.It's not like bond or such that once u signed u have to go..it's to show that u are serious about it...Since u don't have another admit right now there is no point of letting it go away.
And daad ranking of this university:
http://www.daad.de/deutschland/hochschul...&id=400159

Hey sandipmuk
thnks man.....i checked the link...it was very useful..
yeah u r right...i haven't got any odr admit....that way ishd be accepting this offer in hand. Just tell me one thing if you....lets say i acept it and apply for VISA...after i hav applied I get an admit from lets say TUM/Paderborn,etc....what do i do then? Can i cancel my VISA application and start afresh?? I mean how wud i go cancelling this TU-KL and applyng for visa for others...any idea on that???
12-14-2011 03:37 PM
sandipmuk Offline
Edulix Frequent User

sandipmuk Offline
Edulix Frequent User

What I know that if you want to change university you have to go through the entire visa procedure again.Although I have no idea about cancellation procedure. Seniors will be in better position to comment on this.

12-14-2011 03:51 PM
MS12 Offline
New Edulixian

MS12 Offline
New Edulixian

sandipmuk
thanks man..... Smile
i'll try n cntct some seniors.....

n thnks to bhanu860 too Smile
12-14-2011 04:04 PM
anjanakarthik Offline
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

anjanakarthik Offline

In Germany, universities are not ranked only on education. They have a comprehensive ranking system which takes into account various factors like no.of students/professor, infrastructure,sports,students' feedback, professors' feedback etc etc,reputation etc.

One thing to keep in mind while deciding to shot list universities in Germany is that do not follow blindly based on rankings.

I think the ideal decision would be to have a look at the course curriculum of both universities and see which one is more preferable to you. Also, try to search for number of companies that are in and around this unviersity.Talk to seniors regarding this university and get to know about their feedback. Lastly, do have a look at DAAD rankings as well, but even if your selected university has slightly scored less than the other university you get an admit from, you should not worry much about it.
Lastly, university repuation does not matter so much as your grades in Masters and German speaking ability. So, keep these factors in mind before deciding your university.

ATB!!

Not active on Edulix anymore! Please tag other seniors for guidance.

All the best!
12-14-2011 06:38 PM
MS12 Offline
New Edulixian

MS12 Offline
New Edulixian

Hi anjanakarthik
Could you please advice if i should go to TU-Kaiserslautern or wait for other decisions that are due in feb. Actually I'm not able to find much abt TU-KL on net....its not highly ranked either like TUM,etc......but I'm getting the subjects of my interest here...applied CS........
What has got me more into confusion is that one of the seniors from TU-KL after finishing his MS has come back to india for job........i mean that not what one goes out for.....please advice...its very important...

Regards,
Shekhar
12-16-2011 11:08 AM
JT_daniel Offline
Poster of the Year - Europe/UK

JT_daniel Offline
Poster of the Year - Europe/UK

Likes Given: 137
Bonn is a beautiful place to live, I've been there many times. Unfortunately, that's where my knowledge of Bonn ends.

If you do plan on joining Bonn University, send me a PM and I might be able to help you more.

FH Aachen (Energy Systems- Renewable Energy)

Available for Mechanical Profile Evaluations for Germany. Please tag me and wait!

Currently swamped with work and Uni, so won't be able to respond immediately. A thousand apologies to all those waiting for Profile Evals or who want questions to be answered. And please do NOT email me. Thank you!
12-18-2011 01:47 AM
manish.manis88 Offline
New Edulixian

manish.manis88 Offline
New Edulixian

I got admit for EMSE (European Master of Software Engineering) program. The study path is first year at TU-KL, Germany and the second year at FUB, Italy. Its a dual degree program. I am not so sure about whether I should join this course or not.

Please advice.
(05-18-2012 06:39 AM)manish.manis88 Wrote:  I got admit for EMSE (European Master of Software Engineering) program. The study path is first year at TU-KL, Germany and the second year at FUB, Italy. Its a dual degree program. I am not so sure about whether I should join this course or not.

Please advice.

I also got an admit from HFT Stuttgart for Masters course Software Technology WS 2012

Cheers!!!
Manish
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2012 06:43 AM by manish.manis88.)
05-18-2012 06:39 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread