Poll: Which university / course should I prefer ?
Ulm Universitat
TUM- MSPE
KTH Stockholm-Vehicle Engg
RWTH Aachen- CAME
Cranfield
Coventry
Strathclyde
TU Hamburg
TU Kaiserslautern
[Show Results]

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Confused with admits, need suggestions before proceeding with visa application
ravieruva Offline
Edulix Active Member

ravieruva Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
Confused with admits, need suggestions before proceeding with visa application
Hi,

I am starting this thread believing that inputs from members here will help me clear my confusion and help in taking a wise decision for my higher studies.

I was working as a R&D Engineer with and Indian auto major and resigned a few months back in-order to pursue my Masters in Europe. I have 4 years of work experience. As I left my job before getting an admit and not sure of how many admits I will get, I applied to quite a few universities in order to be in a safe position. I have got admits from all those I applied to and that has led to my confusion. Before I mention the colleges and my views on them, I must mention that my core competence and interest is in Automobiles so I would prefer to stick to this field. A change in field now will somehow put be in a dis-advantage w.r.t the work experience I gained earlier. Also, I did not apply to USA because at this moment I cannot afford to do my Masters there.

Now the universities and my opinions-

1. Ingolstadt IAE - Was selected for Summer intake but did not join as lot of other results from better universities were still pending.

2. KTH Stockholm- Selected for Vehicle Engg with full scholarship. The prospects after the course and that the automotive course is in Sweden is pulling me back. Also, my finances will be ready by June, so I have not started with the residence permit yet.

3. RWTH Aachen- Admitted to CAME but not sure to join as the fees is too high - 4100 Euros per semester.

4. Aalto University- Selected in Mechanical Engg with 50 % Scholarship, offer rejected as fees is still too high - 8000 euros per year.

5. TUM Asia- Selected for Masters in Aerospace Engg (have a childhood inclination towards aircrafts) but not joining as fees is too high, moreover considering the situation the industry in, I did not accept the offer.

6. TUM- Selected for MSPE, not sure to join because the focus is more towards Power engineering. Had applied because the course had subjects related to Automotive Engg (ICE, Fuel cells, Alternative energy etc) which I thought I could later specialize with a Masters thesis. I am not sure if that will materialize.

7. Cranfield- Selected for MSc Motorsports Engg, not joining considering the fees and the situation in UK now (Visa rules etc.) May join if I get the jubilee scholarship.

8. Coventry - Selected for MSc Motorsports Engg / Vehicle Dynamics / Mechanical Engg with scholarship- not joining considering the fees and the situation in UK now (Visa rules etc.)

9. Strathclyde - Selected for MSc Global innovation management, not joining considering the fees and the situation in UK now (Visa rules etc.) On waiting list for Erasmus scholarship.

10. TU Hamburg- IPM result pending. I am confident it will be positive. I am interested more towards the dual degree program with scholarship.

11. TU Kaiserslautern- applied to CVT and am hopeful of a positive result but not sure as a good majority of courses are in German. Don't know much about the university repute too.

12. Ulm Universitat- admitted to Energy science and Technology. I am more inclined to this course because it has good application and links with industries, specially Daimler R&D centre in Ulm.

Considering my situation now, I would suggest the moderators, readers and seniors here to help me in taking a good decision. I am badly confused now and need help in coming out of this situation. My preference for studies are in Germany > Sweden > UK. As of now my preference of courses are Ulm > TUM-MSPE > KTH Vehicle Engg. May be if I get through the dual degree programme at TUHH that may become my first preference.

I am thinking of beginning my Visa application by next month, so quicker responses on this thread will be really appreciated. Looking forward to your replies.

PS- I do not know whom to tag on this thread, request the forum members if they could help me on this front.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2012 03:23 PM by ravieruva.)
05-23-2012 02:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
krishme007 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

krishme007 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 3
RE: Confused with admits, need suggestions before proceeding with visa application
RWTH Aachen, TUM and TUHH, join any of these and you will not repent. Your ROI will be good(if you work hard).

Regards,
Vinay

<I am not an active Edulix user anymore, expect delay in replies>
05-23-2012 04:07 PM
anuragm Away

anuragm Away

Likes Given: 10
RE: Confused with admits, need suggestions before proceeding with visa application
ravieruva I don't see anything wrong with your final list of universities. TUHH is a very good option and so are TUM, KTH and Ulm. Because I do not know much about the specifics of your field, I am tagging billa and JT_daniel for their views.

The decision seems overwhelming at first due to the sheer number of admits, but you should eliminate the universities based purely on the course content. Go through the details like the compulsory courses, selective courses, internship options (if any), research projects. These will give you a fair idea about the direction your program will take you. If the program does not interest you, chuck it out of your final list. You can also use the resources at edulix to find out more information about universities, for e.g. there is a complete thread about RWTH's CAME program with some insightful posts by gb_rouble. This program is so expensive because it is actually run by RWTH International Academy, which is different from RWTH University. You can find the thread here:

http://www.edulix.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=107573

05-24-2012 02:26 PM
billa Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

billa Offline
Edulix MVP
Edulix MVP

ravieruva
As you are interested in Germany and you have got admission in very good universities there, you can skip the Sweden and UK and decide the German university based on your interests. Ulm/TUM/TUHH all are excellent universities, see which of them interests you more.

I guess sometimes the past just catches up with you, whether you want it to or not.
05-24-2012 04:05 PM
vasanthk Offline
Edulix Active Member

vasanthk Offline
Edulix Active Member

If money is a constraint, I would suggest KTH as you have got full scholarship..All the best..

05-24-2012 04:22 PM
ravieruva Offline
Edulix Active Member

ravieruva Offline
Edulix Active Member

Thank you friends for your replies , suggestions. Just today got an offer from TUHH for IPM, so that adds to the confusion.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2012 03:57 PM by ravieruva.)
05-25-2012 03:56 PM
gowthamtce Offline
Profile Evaluator of the Year-2012

gowthamtce Offline
Profile Evaluator of the Year-2012

Likes Given: 1
ravieruva Its really tough to get a waiver from KTH, Vehicle engg dept has good course content and research prospects. If you're Interested in automobiles and had really good work experience in the same. So decide based on it. If dont want to move to other field other automobiles. then KTH is the only option and it is not too costly and you get your shared accommodation for 2200SEK and you will get intern and thesis funds as well. Do worry about job you can find them in sweden Very Happy with your work experience

M.Sc Sustainable Energy Engineering at KTH , Sweden and EPFL, Switzerland
Tag me for profile evaluation
05-28-2012 11:52 PM
ravieruva Offline
Edulix Active Member

ravieruva Offline
Edulix Active Member

(05-23-2012 02:48 PM)ravieruva Wrote:  11. TU Kaiserslautern- applied to CVT and am hopeful of a positive result but not sure as a good majority of courses are in German. Don't know much about the university repute too.

Update- got a reject for CVT from TU Kaiserslautern. Reason told was lack of German language proficiency. Not surprised as I had given an undertaking that I will have A2 proficiency only by June end.

As of now, I have finalised with Ulm, anyone here who has more information about this university- please share here as that would be helpful. I am trying to get in touch with alumnis through FB but in vain.Sad

Tagging JT_daniel for his inputs.
06-02-2012 10:50 PM
ravieruva Offline
Edulix Active Member

ravieruva Offline
Edulix Active Member

Got my admission offer from FH Aachen for AVI today.

Incidentally, this is the most hurried and botched up application I have ever sent among all my applications. Decided one day before the deadline, that I must apply and take a chance. Applied online and submitted documents online (as packets need not be sent by courier).

I had an eerie feeling that this will be it, and this is it. Smile

I am going there.
06-21-2012 06:14 PM
rajbxe789 Offline
Edulix Active Member

rajbxe789 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Congrats ravieruva.Very Happy

My Infobank
If you can dream it,you can do it. ~ Walt Disney

Create Infobank || Profile Eval Guide || ECE Specialization
06-21-2012 06:50 PM
krishme007 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

krishme007 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 3
Congrats dudeSmile ATB..
Hope to see you back here helping other applicantsSmile

Regards,
Vinay

<I am not an active Edulix user anymore, expect delay in replies>
06-23-2012 12:53 PM
bloombox Offline
Edulix Frequent User

bloombox Offline
Edulix Frequent User

ravieruva , anuragm , billa , krishme007
I ask TU Kaiserslautern about the German language requirements. They told me that with A1 level certificate, I can apply to CVT course but I must Completed the A2 level before the time of enrolment in the university that is the end of Sept.
But your rejection on the basis of language requirement is matter of worry for me. And a acceptance from the FH Aachen which need B1 level for its AVI program is confusing.
I am looking for the 2013 fall term, mainly Automotive engg. I am starting my A1 level classes from mid-July and expected to complete the A2 level by June of 2013.
Is it necessary to have A2 level before applying to TU Kaiserslautern??
is it possible for me to complete the B1 level for the FH Aachen?
I am working in the R&D dept of a tier 1 automotive supplier, so i can only take the weekand classes of the language course
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2012 02:25 PM by bloombox.)
06-23-2012 02:18 PM
ravieruva Offline
Edulix Active Member

ravieruva Offline
Edulix Active Member

(06-23-2012 02:18 PM)bloombox Wrote:  @[ravieruva] , @[anuragm] , @[billa] , krishme007
I ask TU Kaiserslautern about the German language requirements. They told me that with A1 level certificate, I can apply to CVT course but I must Completed the A2 level before the time of enrolment in the university that is the end of Sept.
But your rejection on the basis of language requirement is matter of worry for me. And a acceptance from the FH Aachen which need B1 level for its AVI program is confusing.

Complete as much as possible. While I applied for CVT, I was still learning my A2 and had no exam certificates too. I think, TU Kaiserslautern was concerned only after my language proficiency and forgot to look into other aspects. I had given a note mentioning that I will have the required proficiency before the deadlines, but they did not accept that.

Quote:Is it necessary to have A2 level before applying to TU Kaiserslautern??

It will be better.

Quote:is it possible for me to complete the B1 level for the FH Aachen?

It will be better but not necessary. I know a few people who are still in A1 (complete) or A2 who have got admit.

Quote:I am working in the R&D dept of a tier 1 automotive supplier, so i can only take the weekand classes of the language course

Nice, I was also in R&D department of India's biggest utility vehicle manufacturer for 4 years. Was team lead for Vehicle Development for several projects (Domestic / Export).

Good luck !

krishme007 , thanks buddy, of course I will.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2012 04:43 PM by ravieruva.)
06-23-2012 04:42 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread