karthik. Offline
Edulix Active Member

karthik. Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
Saarland university
HI
I am planning to apply to University of Saarland for my Masters(bioinformatics) and I want to do phd after my MS. I need reviews on this univ.
Most of the rankings say that it is not among the best in Germany/ Europe in general. But it has two max plank institutes and a center for bioinformatics, cbi. CBI, saarland is the top among the five such institutes funded by the german government.
Some one please tell me about the university, reputation, research(bioinformatics), faculty and the prospects of getting into phd programs after doing MSc; also will I stand any chance in getting a phd admit when applying to top univs like Achen, TUs, ETH or any US univs after doing MS in saarland.
Information given on the net is not so clear, so wanted to find out more reliable info from edulixians.

P.S. Reson for applying to Saarland is, though my profile can get me into a top univ/ TUs, only this has a deadline for applications till july 15, and no other good univ is open for applications now.
omt the results will be declared after July 15. may be in the last week of July. So will I have enough time to get a visa, visa process itself takes 8-12 weeks

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2012 12:27 PM by karthik..)
05-30-2012 12:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
adityanisal Offline
Edulix Frequent User

adityanisal Offline
Edulix Frequent User

RE: Saarland university
Trying my best to clarify (I am heading to Saarland for WS 2012 ) _ Computer and Communication Technology

HI
I am planning to apply to University of Saarland for my Masters(bioinformatics) and I want to do phd after my MS. I need reviews on this univ.
Most of the rankings say that it is not among the best in Germany/ Europe in general.
--- It is among the BEST - top 3 lets say- Computer Science departments in Germany - Only surpassed by Paderborn - where you can apply too, its deadline is also 15 June I think.

But it has two max plank institutes and a center for bioinformatics, cbi. CBI, saarland is the top among the five such institutes funded by the german government.

-- it also has German Insti. of Artificial Intelligence and three of its professors are among the top 40 list of 'German scientists contributing to research bla bla''

Some one please tell me about the university
- good for Bioinformatics - better than the most I'd say
-- reputation : You obviously have not done your research about the uni ! its one of the most reputed unis for CS - also networked with 'Universities of Greater Region' (France-Belgium-Luxemburg)

--research(bioinformatics): has very good funding ! you can expect a HiWI (RA) job !,

-- faculty: awesome !

-- and the prospects of getting into phd programs after doing MSc: that clearly depends on your grades and your reasearch interests and the contacts of YOUR professor at Saarland - who will help for recommend for PhD

--also will I stand any chance in getting a phd admit when applying to top univs like Achen, TUs, ETH or any US univs after doing MS in saarland. : OF COURSE ! But mind you, ETH is a big shot. You *Really* need to be awesome for that. Other unis - why not !

--Information given on the net is not so clear, so wanted to find out more reliable info from edulixians. : what more info apart from this? be specific.

P.S. Reson for applying to Saarland is, though my profile can get me into a top univ/ TUs, only this has a deadline for applications till july 15, and no other good univ is open for applications now.
omt the results will be declared after July 15. may be in the last week of July. So will I have enough time to get a visa, visa process itself takes 8-12 weeks

: Im not an expert on prof evals but your profile is good enough for TUs but Im not sure if it will get you ETH and the likes !
[/quote]

Infobank: http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=149268

App Statuses:

Uni Saarland - Computer and Communication Technologies
Information Systems: Vienna University of Economics and Business
Politechnico di Milano Telecommunications Engineering (NO Scholarship)
University of Kiel Digital Communications

TU Darmstadt ICE. RWTH MI. RWTH MCSE. TUM MSCE. TUHH Microelectronics. Stuttgart INFOTECH. Liebniz Hannover: ITIS
Pending:TU Dresden Distributed Systems, Karlsruhe Electronik & Informetik,
05-30-2012 01:58 PM
karthik. Offline
Edulix Active Member

karthik. Offline
Edulix Active Member

thank a lot for the reply... good to hear something positive saarland...
even in the DAAD website rankings, Saarland is not rated as a top univ(not for computer science).. Info I wanted to get from edulix is about the faculty for bioinformatics, publications per yr, doctorals and also student prof ratio..
I finished my BE in 2010, that is two yrs ago. Please suggest if I should go for MS this yr to Saarland or wait for another yr and apply to the TUs or the other more highly rated ones.
Finally, are these rankings which are available on net genuine and reliable?

(05-30-2012 01:58 PM)adityanisal Wrote:  Trying my best to clarify (I am heading to Saarland for WS 2012 ) _ Computer and Communication Technology

HI
Most of the rankings say that it is not among the best in Germany/ Europe in general.
--- It is among the BEST - top 3 lets say- Computer Science departments in Germany - Only surpassed by Paderborn - where you can apply too, its deadline is also 15 June I think.

But it has two max plank institutes and a center for bioinformatics, cbi. CBI, saarland is the top among the five such institutes funded by the german government.

-- it also has German Insti. of Artificial Intelligence and three of its professors are among the top 40 list of 'German scientists contributing to research bla bla''

Some one please tell me about the university
- good for Bioinformatics - better than the most I'd say
-- reputation : You obviously have not done your research about the uni ! its one of the most reputed unis for CS - also networked with 'Universities of Greater Region' (France-Belgium-Luxemburg)

--research(bioinformatics): has very good funding ! you can expect a HiWI (RA) job !,

-- faculty: awesome !

-- and the prospects of getting into phd programs after doing MSc: that clearly depends on your grades and your reasearch interests and the contacts of YOUR professor at Saarland - who will help for recommend for PhD

--also will I stand any chance in getting a phd admit when applying to top univs like Achen, TUs, ETH or any US univs after doing MS in saarland. : OF COURSE ! But mind you, ETH is a big shot. You *Really* need to be awesome for that. Other unis - why not !

--Information given on the net is not so clear, so wanted to find out more reliable info from edulixians. : what more info apart from this? be specific.

: Im not an expert on prof evals but your profile is good enough for TUs but Im not sure if it will get you ETH and the likes !

[/quote]

05-30-2012 03:47 PM
vasanthk Offline
Edulix Active Member

vasanthk Offline
Edulix Active Member

I dont know about the rankings, but Saarland is considered one of the top notch universities in Europe for Computer Science mainly because it houses Max Planck Research Institute. Look for some of the alumni profiles in their page or social networking sites, that should give you a fair idea about the quality of research going on there. Students get opportunity to do internships in biggies like Microsoft..In my view, Saarland is pretty good non-TU university in Germany.

05-30-2012 05:04 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread